[Politech] Russell Roberts on Hayek and the social norms of trash privacy [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 18:39:10 PDT

I happened to speak to Russell on the phone after his email, and we
discussed how this point applies broadly: if it were socially
permissible to lurk outside someone's home and peek in the windows,
people would spend more on thicker window coverings or move
prancing-around-the-house-in-their-underwear activities into inner
rooms, at some cost to themselves.

To go back to the post that started this discussion, what I fail to
understand is why it is unreasonable to require that police secure a
search warrant before going on "trash dives" in alleys or backyards.

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/08/05/jonaathan-weinberg-on/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/08/05/montana-supreme-court/