[Politech] Update on Marquette's participation in BSA's "Define the Line" program

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 07:03:43 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Update on Marquette's Participation in BSA's "Define the Line"
Program
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:33:05 -0600
From: Eric Goldman <egoldman@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/04/piracy-campaign-from/

   Declan, back in May I wrote about Marquette's participation in the
Business Software Association's "Define the Line" education campaign. Back
then, the details were very sketchy about why Marquette joined the program
and what Marquette promised to do. Between an article in the local student
paper and a press release from Marquette, we've gotten a few more details.
Marquette's participation has included:
  * issuing a second press release (I've posted the text on my blog)
* distributing brochures and handouts during Preview weekends and
Orientation
* placing posters in high-traffic areas
* discussing copyright infringement at a Campus Safety seminar (an
expansive
definition of "Campus Safety," no?)
  We've also learned that Marquette was introduced to the BSA through a BSA
member who also donated $30M of software to the school.
  I've blogged more about this at
http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2005/09/details_on_marq.htm.
  Eric.

--