[Politech] Once again, the Feds want to make "temporary" security restrictions permanent [econ]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 09:18:43 PDT

This is only tangentially relevant to technology but it shows the
encroachment of bureaucrats and the national security.

In this case, "temporary" airspace restrictions that do little to stop
terrorists but quite a bit to terrorize law-abiding private pilots are
about to become permanent -- and perhaps even expanded.

This isn't new. New York's rent control law was supposedly temporary but
is now permanent. The expire-in-four-years portions of the Patriot Act
are about to become permanent. "National emergencies" were supposed to
be temporary but have become permanent.
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-04154.html) The Spanish American War
telecom tax was supposed to be temporary but has become permanent (and
is now causing problems for the Internet). See:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/06/irs-voip-taxes/

More on DC-area airspace folly:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/11/seater-airplane-brings/