[Politech] Financial privacy, Bank Secrecy Act, and laws mandating snooping [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 14:20:54 PDT

Let's not let the banks slide, as Ethan correctly advises. Still, it
seems to me that there's a big difference between (a) one bank teller
who asks inappropriate questions (and may be a clueless new hire and
even violating bank policy by doing so) and (b) a concerted, savvy, and
effective attempt by federal politicians and Fed/Treasury/FinCen to
eviscerate the Fourth Amendment and rid us of financial privacy over a
course of many decades. It's not really fair to equate the two (not that
Ethan does, but others might be tempted).

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/10/11/why-banks-want/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/10/11/banks-want-to/