[Politech] Making universities pay for FBI surveillance, thank you very much FCC [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 07:41:34 PDT

[In principle, I think I'm with Dan on this one. In reality, though, I
wonder if making universities liable for paying for their own compliance
will increase opposition to this FCC mandate (including lawsuits
challenging it) and reduce the chance of some IT person saying "Oh, yes,
it'll cost us $100 million to comply. Check, please!" Also, let's
remember that this may be an unwarranted expansion of CALEA that may be
illegal unless Congress ratifies it. --Declan]