[Politech] Private high school in New Jersey bans blogging [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:51:07 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fwd: NJ Private High School Bans Blogging
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:06:47 -0500
From: G.Waleed Kavalec <kavalec@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051024/NEWS01/510240324/1005

---------- Forwarded message ----------

<snip>
*Blogging ban provokes a debate over cyberspace*

Pope John H.S. demands that online profiles end, calls forums havens for
sexual predators

When students post their faces, personal diaries and gossip on Web sites
like Myspace.com <http://Myspace.com> and Xanga.com <http://Xanga.com>, it
is not simply harmless teen fun, according to one area Catholic school
principal.

It's an open invitation to predators and an activity Pope John XIII Regional
High School in Sparta will no longer tolerate, Rev. Kieran McHugh told a
packed assembly of 900 high school students two weeks ago.

Effective immediately, and over student complaints, the teens were told to
dismantle their Myspace.com <http://Myspace.com> accounts or similar sites
with personal profiles and blogs. Defy the order and face suspension,
students were told.

In the arena of unregulated online communities, which has largely escaped
the reach of schools, Pope John appears to be breaking new ground. While
public and private schools routinely block access to non-educational Web
sites on school computers, Pope John's order seeks to reach into
students'homes.

"I don't see this as censorship," McHugh said this week. "I believe we are
teaching common civility, courtesy and respect."

</snip>