[Politech] Sony CD copy protection hides itself in Windows operating system, with side effects [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 18:52:02 PST

OTazMan was the first to send this along. Here are some more details in
a comprehensible summary form:
http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5926657.html

 From what's been reported publicly so far, it seems that this is a
braindead product decision by SonyBMG and the company deserves all the
criticism it's going to receive.

But I wonder if SonyBMG's clumsy rootkit amounts to a "technological
measure that effectively controls access to a (copyrighted) work." If
so, why wouldn't removing it be a violation of section 1201(a) of the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act? Chalk this up as yet another reason
for DMCA reform:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/10/06/progress-and-freedom/