[Politech] RFID protesters target Wal-Mart, demand new laws and regulations [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 08:52:38 PST

I wrote in a column two years ago that there can be some privacy
concerns with RFID tags on the packaging of products that customers take
home with them:
http://news.com.com/2010-1069-980325.html

But do we really need more laws and regulations? Sure, they'll start at
labeling. But over time politicians and bureaucrats will have an
incentive to set standards, hold hearings, complain about business
practices, and perhaps even set up some FCC-like agency that will
discourage investment in the many _good_ uses of RFID.

The anti-RFID'ers are also prone to anti-technology hysteria:
http://spychips.com/protest/walmart/spychip-slideshow/pages/rfid-reader-vortex.html

It seems to me that Wal-Mart shoppers aren't idiots. They rationally
shop there because the prices are low. If they don't like RFID tags on
the boxes of an HP printer, well, they'll throw the box away. Or take
their business to Costco instead.