[Politech] David Wagner's co-authored analysis of RFID and library privacy [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 14:45:37 PST

This will be the last Politech post for a while. I'm at SFO about to
leave for Tunisia...

Original RFID protester post:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/11/09/jim-harper-on/
Jim Harper's reply:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/11/09/rfid-protesters-target/

Subject: [Politech] Jim Harper on how anti-RFID'ers harm immigrants, the
poor (and public libraries) [priv]
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:42:26 -0800 (PST)
From: David Wagner <daw@private>
To: declan@private

In article <43723425.90404@private> you write:
>I also received a message from a library director at a public library
>that I've been asked not to post verbatim. To summarize it, they're
>planning to replace bar code and security tags with RFID tags within the
>next three years. That will let librarians check out a pile of books
>without opening each one -- and also put a scanner in the book return
>slot too.
>
>One huge benefit is to staff ergonomics (that's a lot of book handling
>eliminated). The RFID tag does not contain any information about the
>book or patron, just a unique ID like a barcode -- only numbers.

Libraries have been doing this for some time now.  For instance, my
local library has largely migrated to RFID-tagged books.  Here is an
analysis of the privacy issues with library RFID, written by David
Molnar and I over a year ago:
   http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/librfid-ccs04.pdf
There are some real benefits from RFID tagging library books -- but
also some possible risks to patron privacy, given current RFID technology.