[Politech] Alleged spammer sues over "Faith in Jesus" email campaign [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 10:07:22 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jesus Spammer Charles Carlson Tries On A SLAPP Suit
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:54:58 -0600 (CST)
From: J.A. Terranson <measl@private>
To: declan@private

Hi Declan,

         http://www.mfn.org/~measl/pdf/Carlson_complaint.pdf

you will find a roughly 30 page rambling "complaint" from the infamous
Chuck Carlson (aka "StraitGate Ministries", "WHTT", and scroes of others,
I'm sure), attempting to argue that Jesus Spam is constitionally protected
speech provided it is compliant with the CANSPAM act, and that people who
complain about receiving his unsolicited Spams-For-Jesus are "committing
Internet Defamation" by complaining.

	Chuckie screwed up his first two attempts to serve me in this
case, and below you will find my email to him laying out the proper way to
get his day in court (assuming he really *wants* a day in court, and not
just to be able to claim that he is "suing Pharisees" (he runs the website
"Pharisee Watch" keep keep an eye on all of us decadent "Pharisees" you
know!).

	As I am in Missouri, and Chuck is in Arizona, I paid particularly
close attention to the failed service I have - and in so doing I noticed
something I had never seen before: The Arizona Court requires a defendant
to pony up $190.00 just to answer the complaint and avoid a default
judgement.  It seems to me this is an unconstitutional tax imposed to
limit defendant's access to the courts out in Arizona, but then, what does
an old Cypherpunk know of laws and taxes and Constitutions???

	This may have an interest for your Politech readers.

All the best!

//Alif

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@private
0xBD4A95BF

	Just once, can't we have a nice polite discussion about
	the logistics and planning side of large criminal enterprise?

	- Steve Thompson