[Politech] Technical details and two replies on E.U. Parliament voting for "data retention" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 10:09:54 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/12/20/replies-to-eu/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Replies to E.U. Parliament voting to force "data
retention" on telecom, Net firms [priv]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:07:14 +0100 (CET)
From: Paul Wouters <paul@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: z at oii dot ox.ac.uk

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [...]

This has long ago started on the protocol level. FreeS/WAN's "opportunistic
encryption" is a protocol extension that allows the setup of VPN connections
between arbitrary hosts, using the DNS (and soon DNSSEC) as an out of bound
third party location for the public keys.
There is also an IETF effort going with somewhat similar goals, called BTNS.

Openswan (successor to FreeS/WAN) supports Opportunistic Encryption. You
can find more info in the BlackHat archives, I gave a few talks on this
topic.

> an overseas server) and the possibility of surveillance or retention
> in that third location.  One wonders if any of the member state
> implementations of the directive will seek to penalize the provision
> or use of such services under an "induce" or other standard.  ...JZ

ISP's cannot offer such services, since they are required to remove all
encryption they themselves add before relaying such data to the LEA's

OE works between endusers and servers, and is not done by the ISP itself,
but by the clients/servers.

Paul