[Politech] Dozens of federal agencies track Web visitors illegally [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 09:33:47 PST

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6018702.html

Government Web sites follow visitors' movements
January 5, 2006, 4:00 AM PST

Dozens of federal agencies are tracking visits to U.S. government Web
sites in violation of long-standing rules designed to protect online
privacy, a CNET News.com investigation shows.

 From the Air Force to the Treasury Department, government agencies are
using either "Web bugs" or permanent cookies to monitor their visitors'
behavior, even though federal law restricts the practice.
Chart: Federal Web tracking

Some departments changed their practices this week after being contacted
by CNET News.com. The Pentagon said it wasn't aware that its popular
Defenselink.mil portal tracked visitors--in violation of a privacy
notice--and said it would fix the problem. So did the Defense Threat
Reduction Agency and the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation
Board.

"We were not aware of the cookies set to expire in 2016," a Pentagon
representative said Wednesday. "All of the cookies we had set with
WebTrends were to be strictly (temporary) cookies, and we are taking
immediate action." WebTrends is a commercial Web-monitoring service.

[...remainder snipped...]

---

Some examples:

Agency Name	         Cookie Type     Expires Hostname
Air Force                Webtrends.com   2016    af.mil
Commerce Department      Statcounter.com 2011    ogc.doc.gov
Defense Department       Webtrends.com   2016    defenselink.mil
Election Assist. Comm.   Own             2007    eac.gov
Energy Department	 Statcounter.com 2011    www.er.doe.gov
General Services Admin.  Own             2035    apps.fss.gsa.gov
Office of Personnel Mgmt Own             2037    leadership.opm.gov
Treasury Department      Own             2035    ots.treas.gov