[Politech] Replies to James DeLong's defense of Google's position on China [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 08:55:26 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2006/02/02/google-is-right/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Google is right on China, by James DeLong [fs]
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:23:58 -0800
From: Jon Dugan <dugan@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

I'm not sure if others have made this point, but there is a good side
inherent simply in the broad airing of this controversy.  There was
never any real debate before about the nature of the Chinese
government: those who understood, knew it was oppressive, but most
people didn't know or care.  But now, with so much press on the
subject, many more people understand how oppressive that government
really is.  This is the real power of pervasive communication --
broadening people's context.

Keep up the good work!