[Politech] Google, MS, others ask Feds to mandate "Net neutrality" regulations [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 23:53:47 PST

Here's a copy of the bill:
http://static.publicknowledge.org/pdf/20060327-house-telecom-print.pdf

Note how the Net neutrality section is less regulatory than the November
draft:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/news/11032005_Broadband.pdf

Some critical views of Net neutrality mandates, from a technologist's
perspective:
http://www.onlyrepublican.com/orinsf/2006/03/resisting_the_n.html
http://www.onlyrepublican.com/orinsf/2006/03/taking_sides_on.html

News coverage:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6055108.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1036_3-6054567.html

March 29, 2006

The Honorable Joe Barton
Chairman
Committee on Energy & Commerce 2123 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Hon Fred Upton
Chairman
Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet
2123 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Chairmen Barton and Upton:

We are extremely concerned that legislation before your Committee would
fail to protect the Internet from discrimination and would deny
consumers unfettered access to the tremendous scope of content,
applications and services that are available today on the Internet and
will be developed in the future. This bill would allow for such a
fundamental change in the paradigm of the Internet that it would
frustrate the reasonable expectations of the tens of millions of
Americans who go online. The “network neutrality” provisions in H.R.
____, “The Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement Act of
2006,” fall well short of what is needed to ensure that consumers and
content providers can rely on the Internet as an engine of growth and
innovation.

The Internet has driven the American economy and productivity for the
past ten years because it enables innovation without permission. A good
idea, technology savvy, and an eye for what consumers want has allowed
entrepreneurial innovators to reach a global market on the Internet.
Consumers embraced the Internet because innovation was rapid and anyone
could provide lawful content without interference or permission from
those companies that control the networks. This policy has been a
hallmark feature of the Internet and is a principal reason why our
companies and the U.S. Internet industry are global leaders today.

That policy is at risk, and that is why we have urged Congress to adopt
network neutrality requirements that are meaningful and enforceable. The
provisions in the Committee bill achieve neither goal. We affirm our
commitment to working with you and your colleagues to craft legislation
that preserves the Internet for the tens of millions of Americans that
rely on it as a vibrant source of content and services that they use
every single day.

					Sincerely,

					Amazon.com
					eBay
					Google
					IAC/InterActive Corp.
					Microsoft
					Yahoo!

cc: Rep. John D. Dingell Rep. Edward J. Markey Members of the Committee
on Energy & Commerce