[Politech] Washington Supreme Court slaps down judge's no-posting injunction in Paul Trummel case [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 16:15:08 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Wash. Supreme court clarifies long-running Trummel
harassment/web posting censorship
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:05:02 -0400
From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Greetings Declan,

Your recent post on police retaliation against muckraking journalists
mentioned the Washington state case of Paul Trummel.
Politech readers might be interested to know that the Washington state
Supreme court just (3/30/06) released an opinion in that case.

In a nutshell, the state Supreme Court generally upheld most of the lower
court anti-harassment orders barring Mr. Trummel from contacting and
surveilling residents of the (partially HUD-funded) building, regardless of
his allegedly journalistic intentions, BUT reversed the lower court orders
to the extent they restricted publication of information (even personally
identifying details) on his website.

The Supreme Court recognized the 1st Amendment issues associated with
restricting Internet publication, but chose to resolve the issue on narrower
grounds; the relevant anti-harassment statute allowed a judge to prohibit
'surveillance,' but posting info to the Internet wasn't 'surveillance,' so
the judge couldn't prohibit the posting.

The lawsuits and anti-harassment orders drew several journalism and civil
liberties amici, including some good work from the ACLU of Washington's
Aaron Caplan.  Also, Elena Luisa Garella - whom Politech readers may
remember as the attorney in the justicefiles.org police posting lawsuits -
served as Mr. Trummel's attorney.

Opinion:
http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.opindisp&docid=759774MAJ

ACLU (and associated attorneys) Amicus: (from earlier stage in the
litigation)
http://www.contracabal.org/NewFiles/LD-03-1015-0000.pdf

(The American Society of Journalists and Authors amicus was good too,
unfortunately I didn't find it online in a brief search.)

Best,
-Ethan