[Politech] More on Dick Armey, Congress, and "Net neutrality" [econ]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 12:05:33 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2006/04/05/former-house-majority/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Dick Armey, former House Majority Leader, takes
aim at "Net neutrality" [econ]
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:37:00 -0400
From: Howie Goodell <howie.goodell@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Hi --

(never tried to reply to this before; sure enjoy it)

Mr. Armey ignores the fact that the last mile is still a natural
oligopoly if not monopoly in most places, both since cable and phone
providers demand and get an exclusive licence from the town, and
because "network effects" (no pun) make it uneconomic to support many
duplicate sets of wiring to every business and house. Requiring
semi-monopoly local companies to connect to their competitor's
networks on an equal basis is a legitimate public good. Like the
1980's telecom reform that required Ma Bell to connect to competitors'
long-distance networks, "net neutrality" is likely to lead to much
more competition, as there will be many ISPs able to provide service
on an equal footing rather than the tyranny of one cable guy.

Howie Goodell
Doctoral Candidate, Computer Science