[Politech] DC area only: Computer security for activists workshop in Baltimore this evening [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 12:05:10 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Computer Security for Activists Workshop #2 (Baltimore, MD)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:56:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rob Carlson <rob@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

This is mainly a Baltimore/DC item, but I think that subset of your
Politech readers would find it appealing.

Workshop #2: Security Mindset

When: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:00 PM

Where: Red Emma's Bookstore Coffeehouse
800 Saint Paul Street
Baltimore, MD  410-230-0450

Concerned about online security culture? Worried about your privacy and
anonymity as an activist? Curious about the technical aspects of
government surveillance of the internet? This second workshop in our
"Computer Security for Activists" series will focus on thinking in a
security mindset and understanding the big picture of keeping secrets
secret.

Major topics:

-Identifying Interception Points (Group Exercise)
-Basic Threat Assessment (Group Exercise)
-Understand the Law Enforcement Point of View
-Thinking Outside the Beige Box
-Understanding Trust

For more information, see www.redemmas.org or e-mail rob@private

This event is free and open to the public and no technical background is
required.  It is not necessary to have attended Workshop #1 to enjoy
this one.  Please buy and enjoy the fair trade coffees and peruse the
books of our gracious host.

Also, Richard Stallman has tentatively confirmed to be a speaker for the
Mid-Atlantic Radical Bookfair which will be held just a block away from
Red Emma's at CENTERSTAGE on Friday, June 30 through Sunday, July 2,
2006.  For more information on the Bookfair, see:

   http://redemmas.org/bookfair/2006/section/main

Rob

--
Rob Carlson  rob@private  http://vees.net/