[Politech] Hiawatha Bray's response on wiretapping of journalists: the law's the law [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 20:35:02 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2006/05/22/perry-metzgers-call/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] Perry Metzger's call to action on Feds'
lawlessness,tapping [priv]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 22:48:55 -0400
From: Hiawatha Bray <watha2020@private>
To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>, <politech@private>

Nonsense.  As a journalist, I don't much like the idea.  But anybody who's
leaking classified data to reporters is in violation of the law.  And it's
perfectly legal for the government to tap the phones of suspected
lawbreakers inside the intelligence community.  In addition, it's illegal
for journalists to knowingly publish classified information, according to a
law passed back in 1950.  I hope that provision is never enforced; I don't
think the administration wants to enforce it.  After all, they need only
nail the leakers and thus avoid opening a huge can of worms by arresting
reporters.  Still, the law's the law, and reporters are bound to it like
everybody else.