[Politech] Federal judge orders halt to NSA spy program, rules it unconstitutional [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 10:04:20 PDT

You can find the opinion here:
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/nsaspying/26477lgl20060817.html

Excerpt:
"The Permanent Injunction of the TSP requested by Plaintiffs is granted
inasmuch as each of the factors required to be met to sustain such an
injunction have undisputedly been met. 59  The irreparable injury
necessary to warrant injunctive relief is clear, as the First and Fourth
Amendment rights of Plaintiffs are violated by the TSP.  See Dombrowski
v. Pfister, 380 U.S. 479 (1965).  The irreparable injury conversely
sustained by Defendants under this injunction may be rectified by
compliance with our Constitution and/or statutory law, as amended if
necessary.  Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public \interest is
clear, in this matter.  It is the upholding of our Constitution."