[Politech] Is your domain safe from suspension? Here's a survey of registrars [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 09:47:27 PST

So the discussion on Politech about the reliability of domain registrars
led to this survey, which we published today:
http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6155614.html

Excerpt: "We found that the French registrar Gandi.net and New
Orleans-based DirectNIC offered the most extensive guarantees against
unnecessary domain name suspension."

I've included the survey questions below. Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2007/01/29/jim-davidson-on/
http://www.politechbot.com/2007/01/29/response-to-godaddys/

1. Under what circumstances will you suspend a customer's domain name
based on the content of his or her Web site, in the absence of a court
order?

2. How many times a month, on average, do you suspend a customer's
domain name based on the content of his or her Web site?

3. What are the most common reasons for suspension?

4. How many domain names do your customers currently have registered
through you?

5. GoDaddy last week suspended its customer's domain, seclists.org,
because of a complaint from MySpace. Would you have done the same thing
in the same way if seclists.org happened to be your customer?

6. If you do suspend domain names in the absence of a court order, what
procedures do you have in place to ensure that the customer is notified
beforehand and given adequate opportunity to respond?

7. Do you believe that your most important responsibility is to provide
technical services to paying customers -- or is it to police the content
of their Web sites, FTP sites, and so on?

8. Are you attempting to recruit GoDaddy customers as a result of last
week's news about seclists.org?

9. If you do suspend domain names in the absence of a court order, how
do your customers go about getting their sites restored?

10. Do you have a dedicated department or person who handles issues
related to domain name suspensions?