[Politech] COPA struck down, again, and judge says filters are very effective [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 15:07:27 PST

Here's my article:
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6169621.html

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: COPA struck down again, but filters fair pretty well
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:05:17 -0700
From: David Burt <David.Burt@private>
To: declan@private <declan@private>

As the legal saga of the Children's Internet Protection Act prepares to
enter its second decade, and heads toward a likely third trip to the
Supreme Court, it's interesting to note the cumulative take on filters.
  As you know, I've been following this for a long time and was a
consultant to the DOJ in the last filtering case, CIPA.  (See my
Wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Burt_%28former_librarian_and_activist%29
)

In the section of the ruling on "The Effectiveness of Filters", the
court reviews a number of studies on filters, including Consumer
Reports, the COPA Commission, testimony in CIPA, and the data gleaned
via subpoena from Google and MSN.  The judge concludes, "I find that filters
generally block about 95% of sexually explicit material."
Ruling at http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/07D0346P.pdf

David Burt
Product Manager, Communications, Security & Access Products
Microsoft Corporation
david.burt@private<mailto:david.burtb@private> | Office:
1-425-704-8074
Mobile: 1-206-437-6772 IM: