[Politech] W3C's openness hypocrisy: Public barred from "public" conference [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 17:46:36 PDT

So the World Wide Web Consortium, or W3C, had an event earlier today
that included keynotes from folks like Tim Berners-Lee. The W3C claims
to pride itself on providing an "open forum" and its conference Web site
clearly says: "Conversations and results are public."
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/eGov-policy-cfp

But the W3C's Danny Weitzner (a former CDTer, as longtime Politech
readers may remember), believes that "public" actually means "not
public." An excerpt from my writeup at News.com is below.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9731230-7.html

The World Wide Web Consortium, which purports to be an "open forum" for
standards discussion, doesn't exactly live up to its own claims.

Earlier on Monday, the W3C barred one of my colleagues, News.com
reporter Anne Broache, from attending a "Toward More Transparent
Government" conference held, ironically, in a government building in
Washington, D.C.

The conference Web site clearly says: "Conversations and results are
public."

But Danny Weitzner, one of the W3C's policy directors and event
co-chair, repeatedly claimed in a followup telephone conversation that,
by "public," the W3C actually means "closed to the public." Weitzner was
the person who personally barred my colleague from entering the conference.

[...remainder snipped...]