[Politech] Whoops! Nevada governor accidentally posts Outlook password [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 11:25:41 PDT

The files have been deleted since my story went up, but, unfortunately
for the governor's office, are still available on Google's cache:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alistserv.nv.gov

---

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747705-7.html

July 20, 2007 10:00 AM PDT
Nevada governor accidentally posts Outlook password
Posted by Declan McCullagh

If you ever wanted to be Nevada's governor for a day, it doesn't seem to
be that hard.

In what could be a whopping security hole, Nevada has posted the
password to the gubernatorial e-mail account on its official state Web
site. It appears in a Microsoft Word file giving step-by-step
instructions on how aides should send out the governor's weekly e-mail
updates, which has, as a second file shows, 13,105 subscribers.

The Outlook username is, by the way, "governor" and the password is
"kennyc". We should note at this point that the former Nevada governor,
a Republican, is Kenny C. Guinn, which hardly says much about password
security.

[...remainder snipped...]