[Politech] FTC Internet advertising summit in Washington this week [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 03:39:14 PST

So the FTC is holding a two-day workshop on Internet advertising in
Washington this week:
http://ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/ehavioral/index.shtml

This is important because these workshops often, but not always, precede
formal regulations. I'm speaking on the 9am panel if you're interested;
it is webcast.

What's happened in the last few days is a bunch of announcements
including a call for a "Do Not Target" list to be set up by the FTC that
companies would be "required" to abide by upon pain of federal sanction:
http://www.cdt.org/privacy/20071031consumerprotectionsbehavioral.pdf

And some of the pro-regulatory/anti-advertising types are calling for a
formal investigation of Google, Microsoft, AOL, and Yahoo's data
collection practices, a new FTC task force to be created, and an inquiry
into target marketing by Facebook and MySpace.com:
http://www.democraticmedia.org/files/pdf/FTCadprivacy.pdf

My own view (not exactly pro-regulatory) is here:
http://www.news.com/the-iconoclast/8301-13578_3-9809195-38.html