Re: Secure popen

From: Rodrigo Barbosa (rodrigobat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 18:05:52 PDT

    On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:48:43AM +0200, Kai Schulte wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
    > > DON'T DO THIS !
    > > Why you must run sendmail ?
    > > Why don't you simply create a SMTP connection
    >
    > Maybe the web server isn't running an smtp daemon.  But even if it is,
    > why is it safer to send everything through the tcp/ip stack and have
    > sendmail fork a copy of itself than to invoke it directly?

    Somewhere there has to be one, or sendmail would not be able to
    deliver the message. But thats pointless anyway.
    The point is not of having sendmail invoked directly. It's the
    way it's done (popen()).
    Anyway, the "pipe/fork/dup/exec" solution is a good one too.
    Looks like people don't like implementing network code when you have
    a program that does that for you. I simply don't like executing
    other programs directly. Too many things can go wrong ...

     Rodrigo Barbosa                   - rodrigob at bh.conectiva.com.br
     Conectiva S/A			   - Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
     "Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?" - http://www.conectiva.com/