Re: Safe session IDs

From: Glynn Clements (glynn.clementsat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 18:34:30 PST

    Ryan M Harris wrote:

    > What is the most secure way of generating a session number?

    With a decent (hardware) RNG.

    > I have used the following formula in the past.

    > sessionid = md5( <REMOTE_IP> + REMOTE_USER_AGENT> + rand() (5 bytes from
    > here) + microtime() )

    > Is it secure (from a randomness perspective)?

    It may be secure enough, depending upon the resolution of microtime(),
    and what exactly the session ID is protecting.

    > Any way to make it more secure/random?

    Yes; by using a RNG, or at least a better PRNG than rand(). EGD[1] is
    an option, if you have an adequate source of entropy with which to
    feed it.

    [1] http://egd.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Glynn Clements <glynn.clementsat_private>