RE: designing a secure mail server?

From: Oliver Friedrichs (ofat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 09:14:58 PST

    > Please share your opinions about this idea before I head off
    > on a tangent and start a big project that might or might not
    > be fundamentally broken due to bad design.

    I would really suggest that you think long and hard before venturing into
    something like this - while keeping in mind that 2 very strong programmers,
    who also happen to be security experts have already done this.  You know
    about qmail, but there is also Postfix by Wieste Venema.  Also, why are #3
    and #4 problems for you?

    Postfix : http://www.postfix.org

    What is Postfix? It is Wietse Venema's mailer that started life as an
    alternative to the widely-used Sendmail program.

    Qmail : http://www.qmail.org

    qmail is a modern SMTP server which makes sendmail obsolete, written by Dan
    Bernstein, who also has a web page for qmail. qmail is a secure package.

    Just my opinion,

    - Oliver