Re: CGI security on a shared web server

From: Antonomasia (antat_private)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 14:48:36 PDT

    From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddieat_private>

    > I am renting server space on a shared machine which runs my site, and
    > others, as virtual domains on a single instance of Apache.  CGI programs
    > run under the uid 'nobody', as does the server itself.  This means that
    > if I want to provide write access to a data file, I must allow world
    > write access to that file.  It also means that if my CGI program
    > creates a data file, that file is owned by 'nobody' and I do not have
    > full privileges over my own data.  Since the box has multiple
    > legitimate users, all users of the box have just as much access to
    > my data as I do.

    I agree that this is a problem.  If I were trying to provide a service
    of this kind I'd want to use something similar to suexec to switch to
    a different UID for each virtual host; and none of them would be "nobody".
    Each customer would have 2 accounts too - one used in suexec and one with
    which to prepare web pages etc.   Never having configured a virtual host
    webserver I can't comment reliably on how hard that would be to do but
    provided wrapper programs can be told the virtual host involved I think
    the rest should present no problem to many people on this list.  That it
    would unsettle some ISPs doesn't surprise me.

    > I've asked the owner of the server to enable the suEXEC feature of
    > Apache.  The response I've gotten is that this is a security
    > vulnerability.

    They're entitled to take that view and risk losing your business.
    Can you interest them in running another apache somewhere just for you ?

    # Antonomasia   ant notatla.demon.co.uk                      #
    # See http://www.notatla.demon.co.uk/                        #