ANNOUNCE: "Network Security with OpenSSL" (+DC area SSL talk)

From: John Viega (viegaat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 07:33:00 PDT

O'Reilly has just published our book, "Network Security with OpenSSL".

First, the marketing speak:

"Instead of getting bogged down in the technical details of how
SSL/TLS works under the hood, this book focuses on the information
that is necessary to use OpenSSL safely and effectively.  The reader
is taken step by step from understanding the challenges faced in
communicating securely to using the OpenSSL tools to best meet those
challenges.

System and network administrators will benefit from the thorough
treatment of the OpenSSL command-line interface, as well as from
step-by-step directions for obtaining certificates and setting up
their own certification authority.  Developers will benefit from the
in-depth discussions and examples of how to use OpenSSL in their own
programs.  Although OpenSSL is written in C, information on how to use
OpenSSL with Perl, Python and PHP is also included."

The book is available from the usual sources, such as Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059600270X/

We'll also have a few signed copies available to people in the
Washington DC area, this Thursday (the 27th).  We'll have them at 30%
off.  Please email me to reserve a copy, as we only have a limited
number.

At the event, John Viega will be giving a FREE talk entitled, "Why SSL
Isn't Securing Your Software".  You can find more information on the
event at:

http://dc.securitygeeks.com/june2002.html

John Viega
Matt Messier