Re: Securely getting a password from a custom app into Oracle

From: Sam Hillaire (samhillaireat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 14:56:58 PDT

    For client/server encrypted communications, look at Oracle's Advanced
    Security and Networking
    Options.

    All of my Oracle servers required encrypted communication, else they won't
    allow the communication
    link.  This is all setup  by modifying the sqlnet.ora parameter files on all
    of the clients and on
    the database server.  Specifically, the SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT,
    SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_CLIENT,
    SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT, and SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_CLIENT
    options.  There are similar
    options for the server environment.

    One caveat:  test all versions of the Oracle client software version you use
    or support (8.1.6,
    8.1.7, 9.0.1, 9.2.0) versus the target database server to ensure all your
    encryption choices work
    correctly.

    Sam Hillaire
    MCSE, MCDBA, OCA9i