Re: Secure Sofware Key

From: eaxat_private
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 12:21:37 PDT

    > Hi,
    >    I am wondering if there are any techniques to make a CD-Key of the like
    > unbreakable.

    No.

    > Either by giving it a cancelation date and a periodic renewal
    > from a server or just by using self md5 signature on the resulting
    > executable.  I know it must not be easy because the whole software piracy
    > problem would be resolved but there must be some way to make it really hard
    > to break it.  Anyone have hints on this issue ?

    First learn about common reversing techniques, and don't make any stupid
    mistakes.  Be prepared to spend many hours educating yourself and
    reversing some applications yourself before you'll be able to crank
    out a protection that will give _amature_ crackers some difficulty.

    Here are some excellent resources for you to check out:

    http://www.searchlores.org/protec/protec.htm
    http://tsehp.cjb.net/

    The following is a fairly strong protection involving some strong-crypto
    and a hardware dongle:

    http://lists.insecure.org/pen-test/2001/Jun/0050.html
    (of course this won't stop a legitimate user from decrypting all code
    segments and re-distributing an un-enveloped version).