RE: use of base image / delta image for automated recovery from a ttacks

From: Everhart, Glenn (FUSA) (GlennEverhartat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 12:11:55 PDT

    I did something crudely along those lines for VMS VAX maybe 13 years
    ago; there is at least one product that does it for PC though I don't
    recall its name. It is also handy for cases where you have a CD image
    of some filesystem (or some other image of a filesystem) that is
    intrinsically readonly but whose filesystem will not accept (or is
    not graceful) readonly storage. It is also more or less necessary
    if you want to work with WORM file structures, which are older still.
    There have been a number of filesystems for those dating back to the
    early 1980s if not before.

    A generic facility of the type you mention is also one way to implement
    snapshots on top of an existing filesystem. The written information
    must (obviously!) be seekable so you can provide the illusion that you
    wrote to the storage. A device level implementation is however perfectly
    adequate.

    It does not, of course, distinguish for you what should have been changed
    and what should not. If you truly know a device (or perhaps a partition)
    must not be written, it can be simpler to either return error on writes,
    or to just return a fake success on writes yet discard the data. (NTFS
    lives with the latter strategy just fine from my experiments. I have not
    tried it on extf3 or reiser.)

    BTW, think about your mention of RAID and consider the complexity of
    writing to RAID4 or RAID5...
    I would contend that with cheaper storage these days, it makes little sense
    to use RAID, save for shadowing and possibly striping. Those at least do
    not have the complexity and slowup dangers that higher RAID levels have, and
    there is not a need to save the cost of disk so much where a single disk
    may hold 200 gigs and up. Why not dedicate another whole disk to fault
    recovery
    and lose the complexity and slow write (sometimes) of RAID?

    Glenn Everhart