Re: Secure Sofware Key

From: Artem Frolov (frolovat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 02:49:38 PDT

    Hi

    On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Yannick Gingras wrote:

    > BTW thanks for all of you who provided interestiong insight.  I'm playing with
    > gdb's dissassembler now but I don't think it's what a typical cracker would
    > use.  Any hints on UNIX cracking tools ?

    There's also an 'objdump' program, and 'biew' hex viewer/disassembler. A good
    starting point to search is http://www.freshmeat.net/

    However, cracking and reverse engineering tools are not so ubiquitous on UNIX as
    they are on Windows platform for two main reasons:

    1. The main customers of commercial Unices (Solaris, HP-UX, Aix, SCO...) are
    respectable companies. They are ready to pay big bucks for software they need: the reputation matters.

    2. Most software for free and open source Unices like Linux and xBSD (this
    software often may be used on commercial unices as well) is, well, free and
    open source.

    Regards
    /Artem

    --