RE: Data Encryption

From: Trevor G. Hammonds (trevorat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 16:49:56 PDT

    "[T]his is the encryption method that this program will use since it's
    about to go into production, so please don't suggest alternatives."

    With this sort or poor planning (only asking for advice after it's too
    late to implement any of the suggestions), I don't know what you expect
    to gain from posting this information here.

    You have obviously spent a great deal of time developing this HR system.
    Indeed, you have also spent much time developing your own protocol and
    cypher method.  This is a shame.  For your future reference, without
    trying to sound too blunt, I'm going to have to recommend that you stick
    to what you know, and don't try to reinvent the wheel.  There are plenty
    of well-known, generic protocols--with secure encryption
    algorithms--that you could have used.  They could have done a better
    job, and would have required ZERO development time on your part.  With
    the variety of APIs and code libraries out there, I suspect in the
    length of time it took you to submit your original e-mail, you probably
    could have had added a reasonably-secure protocol to your system.
    Instead, you are now stuck with an inadequate, home-grown connection
    method.

    Oh well.  Better luck with "2.0".

    		Sincerely,
    		Trevor Hammonds