Re: PGP scripting...

From: John Hanna (jhannaat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 14:38:15 PST

    I agree with Chris here with two cavets.

    It's not usually used this way, but one could use PGP's "standard
    encryption" feature (as opposed to the normal public key method) together
    with a temporary key stored in a scripts memory space (and not written to
    the disk) to temporarily write data in a safe way. This might allow you to
    follow the letter of the law and still write something useful. Of course if
    you're writing the file to the disk for inter-process communication this
    doesn't help much: In that case transfering the temporary key process to
    process in a secure way also becomes problematic.

    Alternatively you might be able to arrange a system where the script prompts
    an operator for a passphrase to unlock the private key at boot. But if the
    passphrase is coded into the script, written to disk, or easy to guess then
    it is worse than useless.

    john