Re: PGP scripting...

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 20:12:18 PST

    On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:38:42 GMT, lsi said:
    > I have spent many hours attempting to figure out how to get my webserver logf
    ile downloaded (or, website
    > updates uploaded) via FTP automatically, without having to leave my password
    floating around on my
    > machine somewhere.

    I've seen this done with SSH (the 'scp' component).  You tell it to use
    public-key authentication rather than password, generate a special key
    that doesn't have a passphrase associated with it, and then use that key
    to connect to the target system as a user that's restricted to only being
    able to upload files.  If you're really paranoid, use a 'nobody' type userid
    to upload into a temp dir, and then have a cron job on the dest system copy
    them to the "real" destination....