Re: PGP scripting...

From: John Viega (viegaat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 18:08:15 PST

    I've skipped most of this thread, so I'm not 100% sure of the context.
    It looks like you're talking about how RSA works.  Note that the RSA
    public key consists of the modulus and the public exponent.  The
    modulus is the product of two primes.  When someone refers to a
    1024-bit "RSA key", they generally mean that the size of the modulus is
    1024 bits, meaning that there are two secret primes that are generally
    512 bits each.

    Private keys should generally be encrypted on disk, if at all possible,
    in order to avoid disastrous consequences on break-in.  Generally, it's
    represented in a DER-encoded format, then encrypted with a key that is
    derived through a password-based key derivation function (see PKCS#5).
    It is often then PEM encoded, which is more or less base-64 encoding,
    though how to PEM-encode password-encrypted data is not really
    something anyone agrees upon.

    John