Re: safe strcpy()?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 22:19:47 PST

    mlhat_private wrote:

    >Indeed.  What we want is a language compatible with
    >C but with string handling as a standard part -- luckily
    >there is such a beast -- C++ !

    C++ is unmitigated evil. The safety of C, and the performance of
    Smalltalk :-(

    People who need the safety and OOP abstractions of C++ should use Java
    (or C# if you prefer): they have no business using a dangerous weapon
    like C or C++. Even people skilled at writing C code should use a safer
    language unless they *need* the speed and agility of C.

    People who need greater performance than Java should use C, because C++
    imposes such bloat. The abstraction of object oriented design and object
    oriented programming can be done just fine without C++'s bloat: in Ye
    Olde Dayes, it was called "abstract data structures."

    There is no middle ground for C++. Everyone should just stop using it.

    IMNSFHO, of course :-)

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.