Re: safestr alpha (Safe C String Library)

From: Kim Reece (sorelat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 11:01:25 PST

    > Instead of simply dieing... is it possible to validate that the programmer
    > is checking the error condition? (I don't have an answer to that myself.) I
    > would hate to see movement to a safer string library that actually REMOVES
    > the ability for developers to build clean failure code paths to allow for
    > recovery. I hope you see what I am trying to get at.

    Perhaps an acknowledgement system of some type?  ie. having parameters for
    "die" or "don't die" or "die if they don't check it", then a function the
    user of the library would call to say "return code checked, acknowledge so
    I can use the results".  Basically a taint system.

    It wouldn't take a very large modification, but I don't know how well it
    would fit into the paradigm you're going for.

    --Sorel