FW: Some questions on DES Encryption...

From: DeMello, Christopher (Christopher.DeMelloat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 11:42:18 PST

    To know why you require N number of plaintexts attacks, you would need to
    know how DES works. (Based on XOR's and the Feistel Cipher) If you would
    like to know, The DES algorithm is public record. You can go to the below
    link to read about the algorithm. DES actually has 4 operating modes. You
    can read about them online as well. (This publication has block diagrams and
    all.)

    http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips46-3/fips46-3.pdf

    DES is actually a 64 bit block cipher.(Technically but a little shake and
    bake here and there) DES uses 8 bits for error checking (Odd parity on each
    byte) which is why people call it a 56 bit cipher.

    People are using Triple Data Encryptions Algorithm (TDEA) or Triple DES
    (3DES) because DES was broken using a brute force attack in 56 hours using
    recycled PC boards. (July 15, 1998) The immediate fix was to go to TDEA.

    Like Jeremy stated, 3DES is relatively computationally secure.
    (Computationally secure means that if the best algorithm for breaking a
    crypto system takes at least N operations where N is some specified, very
    large number. Essentially too large to exhaustively search)

    If your interested in this field of study Worcester Polytechnic Institute
    has an Excellent graduate program in Cryptography and Info Security.

    Chris

    Christopher DeMello
    Component Engineering
    General Dynamics C4 Systems