Re: revelation, snitch, openPass...

From: Justin Pryzby (justinpryzbyat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 10:05:16 PDT

    Kind of .  Windows has very insecure message passing.  One "window" can
    tell another window to do stuff.  Without requiring authorization, even.
    Apparently, X is much better about this kind of thing.

    I don't know about the internals, which would be entirely MS specific.
    I, too, would be interested in source code.

    This can be used, oftentimes, to find the wireless access key, which is
    starred out.  Some admin's don't want their users to know it, and seem
    to think that that stars are secure.

    An alternative way to do this would be to walk through a processes
    memory space, and maybe pass the result to `strings`.  You have to own
    the process or be root though.  "The Coroners Toolkit" for Linux can do
    this pretty well.

    Justin Pryzby