Snort 1.8.1 released!

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 09:15:44 PDT

    ----- Forwarded message from Martin Roesch <roeschat_private> -----

    From: Martin Roesch <roeschat_private>
    To: snort-users <snort-usersat_private>,
    	snort-dev <snort-develat_private>,
    	focus-ids <focus-idsat_private>,
    	snort-announce <snort-announceat_private>,
    	idsat_private, lwnat_private
    Subject: Snort 1.8.1 released!
    Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:08:14 -0400

    Hi everyone,
         Snort 1.8.1 is available on our brand new web site!  Please head on
    over to http://www.snort.org and have a look at the new site and check
    out the new release.  For the impatient, you can get the latest tarball
    straight from http://www.snort.org/releases/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE.tar.gz.

    What's new and different about this release, you ask?  Here's the scoop:

    * SNMP alerting support added by Glenn Mansfield Keeni & K. Jayanthi
    * IDMEF output support compiled in by default now
    * regex keyword code repaired, limited regex/wildcards now available in
    the rules language
    * new packet counters added to Snort stats output for frags and streams
    * http_decode preprocessor modified to normalize %u encoding
    * new detection modes in frag2, Snort picks up fragmentation
      attacks (teardrop, etc) much better now
    * repaired frag2 IP defragmenter, now highly stable and functional
    * tweaks made to stream4 TCP stream reassembler, now highly stable
    * Win32 code integrated with main Snort source now
    * fix for -r mode crash when no other command line options specified
    * fix for logfile names using ":" under win32
    * tag code repaired, tags now work as expected (perhaps better even!)
    * spp_arpspoof repaired
    * stream4 alerts are now off by default
    * syslog alerts now support standard GEN:SID:REV data

    As always, the cast of characters that made this all possible is a
    lengthy list of great people, and I'd like to mention just a few who
    were especially helpful and supportive as we got things going for this
    release:  Phil Wood, Fyodor Yarochkin, Brian Caswell, Bill Gercken,
    Roman Danyliw, Jed Pickel, and Joe McAlerney.

    Enjoy!

         -Marty

    --
    Martin Roesch