Fenris 0.02 (and some hints)

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 07:41:29 PDT

    I'd like to announce the availability of Fenris 0.02. Fenris is a GPLed
    reverse engineering, debugging, and computer forensics tool that combines
    many unique features. To read more propaganda, or to download the
    documentation and sources, please go to project's homepage,
    http://razor.bindview.com/tools/fenris/ .

    In this release, which was made possible thanks to many contributors, I
    focused on providing some additional core functionality, some bugfixes,
    and extending fingerprints database. I also provided certain capabilities
    useful for analysis of a hostile code, such as run-time data modification.
    To exercise new features, I came up with several hints on how to approach
    "The Reverse Challenge" [http://project.honeynet.org/reverse] using
    Fenris, and how to make the analysis much simpler. My quick write-up is
    not intended to spoil the fun, so it is safe to have a look:
    http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/fenris/reverse.txt

    There are many interesting features still on the TODO list, and probably
    even more things you'd like to see in a program like this. There's also a
    handy amount of known bugs that are yet to be fixed. Your contributions,
    even marginal, are of great value to this project.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/