Seven Year Information Security Professional

From: Matthew J.Harmon (xyzat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 13:32:20 PST

    I started out as a Security Analyst for an ISP in Iowa,
    while there I redeveloped their security policies, improved
    their internal procedure's for not only processing users and
    accounts, set standards and certifications for network
    development, and generally - improved the company moral
    sense.

    Within my three years at InterAccess, I felt attached to the
    company - yet I knew that I had to move on, I had developed
    the company from the inside out.  So I moved on to Pacific
    Tradewinds.  At PTW, I worked very closely with the company
    owner.  I was responsible for developing services, auditing
    clients, developing and managing teams, and taking care
    of financial matters in his absence.  After a couple years,
    I was approached by David with an offer to start my own
    company, which I accepted.

    This began GNU Networks, a Network/Internet Service
    Provider.  Within the first year, the company had boomed.
    We hit the market at just the right time, we specialized in
    honest services.  Our prices kept the company
    stable, yet didn't 'rob' the customer under any condition.
    We had agreements with local not-for-profit agency's and
    educational institutions to provide services at a
    significant discount.  My responsibilities included
    financial managements, project management, project
    development, architecture/network development, security
    management, technical support, and professional services.

    GNU Networks succeeded quite well, until I left it in the
    not-so-competent hands of my Jr. Admin and Financial Manager
    while I pursued my dream of Independent Security Consulting.
    I was pro-active, I was determined - and the
    companies/corporations I was approaching new it.  In most
    circumstances, I would come in unanounced - perform a
    preliminary audit of physical and network security, and then
    direct it to the appropriate individual.  In more
    circumstances then not, I would be called in on an emergency
    basis to evaluate a breach of security, close the breach,
    write up a report on how to avoid it in the future, and find
    how the breach was opened.  My clients included Fortune 100
    and Big 5 companies in the Automotive, Logistical,
    Communication and Financial industries.  The services
    provided included: Security Audits, Team Management, Log
    Analysis, Security Architecture Engineering, and breach
    avoidance.

    I was forced to leave my consulting role due to personal
    matters, and move up north to Minnesota.  I contacted a
    couple clients of mine and got contract positions, including
    Solaris Admin for Secure Computing Corporation.  HP-UX
    Admin for Norstan Communications, and Systems Integration
    Engineer with Network Security Specialty for Ulysses
    Telemedia Networks, Inc.  In all positions, I went above and
    beyond my responsibilities and improved the corporation from
    the inside out.

    At this point, I am conducting Independent Instructing for
    some clients in the Twin Cities.  I'm looking to move on to
    a position in which I can utilize my entire skill set.

    If this type of background, is something that you feel would
    be of use in your organization.  Please contact me via eMail
    to mjharmonat_private or xyzat_private

    Thank you.

    Matthew J. Harmon