Looking for security research / penetration testing role

From: Chris Paget (mad.nutterat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 03:55:08 PDT

    Hi,

    I am currently in charge of network security for a telecoms
    consultancy which is being forced to make many redundancies; I am
    considering taking voluntary redundancy and moving deeper into
    security research and penetration testing.

    I am an expert in all aspects of Windows 9x/NT/2K (and their
    associated security technologies), I am fluent (if a little rusty) in
    many programming languages (C, C++, Delphi, VB, VBScript, various
    assemblers), and I am keen to broaden my skills, specificially to
    include Unix and x86 assembler.  I am very familiar with all common
    networking protocols on a per-packet level as well as an
    administrative one (TCP, UDP, IP, Ethernet, DHCP, DNS, NAT, SMTP, and
    POP to name but a few), and I feel comfortable working at any of the 7
    OSI layers (I also have a good electronics background).  I am
    completely self-taught.

    My current role involves performing internal security audits,
    evaluating new technologies for possible implementation on our WAN,
    providing a security viewpoint to others throughout the company,
    planning overall security strategy, budgeting and resourcing security
    projects, and many other aspects of network security.  Additionally, I
    am also a member of the more generalised IT projects team, which
    involves many more mundane aspects of system and network
    administration, and technical support.

    While I have no security qualifications, I could probably pass the
    CISSP exam (even though I do not have the 3 years formal experience
    required to take it - however I have several years of informal
    experience).  I have obtained the SSCP study guide and I am confident
    that I posess the vast majority of the skills and knowledge required
    to pass it.

    Ideally, I am looking for a position in security research; I have many
    ideas for security tools and technologies that I would like to
    explore.  However, I would be equally happy in an auditing /
    penetration testing role which allowed me some time to work on such
    projects.  Initially, I would probably be hired for my NT/2K skills,
    as my Unix knowledge is far from brilliant, however I am an extremely
    fast learner and I am very keen to do so.

    I am currently based in Cambridge, UK, but am happy to move.  Ideally,
    I would like to travel abroad; while I would prefer a job based in
    another country, I would also be happy with a UK-based job with good
    travel prospects.

    I have a full CV and references if desired; I am contactable on:
    +44 1223 476683 (Home)
    +44 7971 237022 (Mobile)
    mad.nutterat_private

    Chris