Re: How common are NCA's?

From: Gabe Kostolny (gabeat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 15:15:16 PDT

    I would never sign on to a company that offered me such a restrictive
    non-compete, particularly with the financial remedies included. What's
    obvious from the excerpts you've posted is that the company has only its
    own interest at heart, and none whatsoever in maintaining a good
    employee-employer relationship. What's particularly irksome about this
    excerpt is the mention of termination for any reason. If the employee is
    laid off it is patently unfair to deny him the opportunity to receive
    other employment by restricting him from working with business entities
    their former employer may have had contact with.

    As for requiring a former employee to not recruit from within their
    previous company, that's fairly common. The $50K financial remedy is
    not, and with security being such a small space, if you were to move to
    another company, and have one of your previous co-workers follow, even
    w/o your assistance, your former company would likely be able to bully
    you into paying - or at least incurring a lot of attorneys fees.

    my two cents.

    -gabe

    --
    Gabriel Coelho-Kostolny