Seeking Security Position

From: Mitch Bell (tbonebellat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 10:25:29 PST

    I am actively seeking a position in the security
    field. My resume is attached. Here is a brief summary
    of my skills and experience.

    I have worked in the Unix security/administration
    field for five years. I also have two years of
    management experience.

    In my most recent position I was responsible for
    project management of enterprise security for a
    national telecommunication company.

    T. Mitchell Bell

    Thomas Mitchell Bell
    614 Best Avenue
    Washington, Pa 15301
    tbonebellat_private
    724) 228-6449 home

    Objective:

    To work in an environment that fosters growth, values
    effort, and challenges me professionally.

    Four years of Unix System Administration experience
    with three years of System/Network Security
    experience.
    Four years of technical management experience. Project
    management experience.
    Three years working in a National Operations Center
    environment with Amazon.com and Voicestream wireless.
    Currently working on the security challenges of
    platforms that support the new wireless data/internet
    convergent technologies.
    Experienced with security policy creation and
    implementation within a large organization.
    Self-starter able to work autonomously or provide peer
    leadership within a team environment.
    Over ten years of experience working as an engineering
    technician in Electronic, Geotechnical,
    Telecommunications, and Information Technology
    industries.

    Skills:

    Experienced with host vulnerability assessment
    security tools. COPS, Crack.
    Experienced with network vulnerability assessment
    tools. Saint, Dsniff, CIS, ISS.
    Host hardening on Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, Windows 2000.
    Setup and configuration of Cisco 7140 VPN/routers.
    Firewall experience. Checkpoint, PIX, IP Filter. NAI
    Sniffer Pro network analysis.
    Network intrusion detection system. Network Flight
    Recorder. Snort.
    Setup, configuration, maintenance of Sun Enterprise
    Servers, Workstations.
    Setup, configuration, of Solaris 7 and 8, NIS, NIS+,
    NFS, SAMBA, Veritas Volume Manager, NetBackup, Soltice
    DiskSuite.
    Setup configuration of HP 9000 Enterprise Servers,
    Workstations, Diskless clients. HP-UX 10.2 - 11.0.
    Used HP Openview, OEMF, Nokia NMS 2000, MRTG,
    Netsaint, BMC Patrol.
    Installed, configured and maintained Oracle 7, 8
    relational database.

    Voicestream Wireless, System/Network Security,
    Engineering & Operations, 4/2000 to present.

    Responsible for the security initiative for
    Voicestream Engineering and Operations.
    Recommended and assisted our security consulting team
    to assess, design and implement security for the
    Engineering and Operations Network, GPRS, WAP, SMSC,
    NMS.
    Managed and implemented installation of SSH, Tripwire,
    and recommended system security configurations.
    Participated in evaluation of several firewall vendors
    and made recommendations to the engineering team.
    Assisted in the installation and configuration of
    Nokia IP650 Checkpoint firewall.
    Responsible for entire GPRS/ WAP network/host
    security.
    Worked with Nokia, Cisco, and engineering team to
    design and implement security on Cisco 7000 series
    high performance routers/firewalls.
    Installation and upgrades of Solaris 7, 8 on Sun Netra
    T1, 220R, 420R hardware.
    Tightened OS Security on Solaris, HP-UX.
    Researched and provided OS Security implementation
    procedures for System Administrators.

    Amazon.com, Operations Supervisor, System and Network
    Operations Center, 8/99 to 4/2000.

    Handled the discovery, troubleshooting and engagement
    in two national DDOS attacks in February 2000.
    Responsible for Operations Training program. Designed
    tutorial based program with certifications to measure
    effectiveness. Received recognition from management in
    designing and implementing training program.
    Project managed the completion of new main operations
    monitoring center.
    Ensured a uniform level of high-quality customer
    service by supervising operators on shift.
    Performed direct counseling on job performance,
    performance reviews, organize operator personnel
    resources, and assorted supervisory tasks.
    Performed problem tracking for critical system
    problems.  Provided a high-level overview of systems
    status on demand.
    Participated in the rollout of several new Amazon.com
    infrastructure initiatives.

    Aerial Communications, System Security Administrator,
    National Technical Operations, 8/97 to 11/99.

    Standardized User Access on entire Aerial Engineering
    and Operations Network.
    Managed security on Aerial's network elements HLR,
    MSC, OMC, OEMF, SMSC, OTA, and IN Platforms.
    Provided backup UNIX and Oracle administrative support
    of network management systems and network elements as
    required.
    Developed network security procedures and standards
    and work with regional system administrators to
    implement.
    Performed regular security audits of network elements
    and network element access.
    Developed automated scripts to audit network element
    access.
    Maintained documentation of network configuration
    identifying all potential points of external access.
    Responsible for the performance and maintenance of HP
    9000 system using HP-UX 10.2 running Oracle 7.3 with
    Nokia NMS/2000 network software. Responsible for daily
    system checks, installing hardware and software
    changes, users, security and trouble shooting.

    Education:

    University Of Pittsburgh Studies directed toward
    Environmental Sciences degree GPA 3.0
    California University of Pa Completed one year of
    pre-engineering degree studies.  GPA 3.43
    Attended training courses at Hewlett-Packard, Oracle,
    Sun, Cisco, and NAI Sniffer.
    Security conferences have included SANS 99, Black Hat
    2000, and DefCon 8.

    References and salary history furnished upon request