Yet Another Security Guy Looking For A New Gig

From: Stephen P. Berry (spbat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 19:19:15 PST

    I'm writing this more to get feedback from the list than to find an
    employer directly.  After watching the startup I worked for get litigated
    into nothingness, I'm looking for another gig.  I really don't expect
    the kind of employers I'm interested in to be reading this list, so
    I'm hoping to get pointers from other readers.

    The sort of shop I'm interested in working in:

    	-Considers security `mission critical'
    	-Is not a single-platform or single-vendor shop
    	-Is either small enough or structured such that a single
    	 highly-motivated individual can make a difference

    I'm willing to entertain almost any offer, but I think I'm most
    interested in very small companies...startups and suchlike.  I'm not
    strongly inclined for or against any particular industry or sector.  That
    being said, since I'm only interested in employers that take security
    very seriously, I won't be interested in some firms because of their
    security requirements.

    I won't bother including a resume, but have one available upon request.
    I'm only interested in senior-level positions, and have experience with
    such positions in companies of various sizes (from being a founding member
    of a startup, to being responsible for security at a billion-dollar biotech).
    I'm familiar with firewall administration, NIDS analysis,
    PKI administration, and just about any other flavour of network and
    information security related task an organisation might need.  In addition,
    I'm highly skilled as a UNIX systems administrator, and am generally
    the go-to guy for UNIX-related questions in most shops where I work.
    I'm not interested in any management-only positions, but have no problems
    with project management, delegation of authority, and that sort of thing.

    I'm currently in the Silicon Valley/San Jose area, and I'm not interested
    in relocating at this point.

    In addition to myself, I could bring along an entire IT/IS staff...most of
    the tech guys from the same now-defunct startup I'm coming from.  We
    work together well as a team, and have worked together for years.  All of
    us have experience with everything from big corporate bureaucracies to
    tiny startups.

    If anyone knows of any interesting places that are hiring or new startups
    that are forming and looking for technical staff, I'd appreciate a pointer.
    Of course if such an employer is reading this list, I'd certainly be
    interested in hearing from them directly.  The best way to contact me
    is via email to this address:  spbat_private .

    Thanks.

    Stephen P. Berry