RE: Advice on entering the security field (training, qualifications etc..)

From: Mark (fat_boyat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 04:19:34 PST

    Thanks to one and all for the MANY e-mails I have received on this
    matter.

    I have taken my time and reviewed each and every response and thought it
    would be worth summarizing my conclusions.

    Many people suggested virtually identical routes which suggests some
    very sound advice. Here are the main suggestions (direct quotations
    where appropriate):

    1. apply for anything that is vaguely relevant to pay the bills in the
    interim

    2. MSc in Information Security  - London (Royal Hollaway )

    3. install configure and PRACTICE on hardware/software at home i.e.
    cheap self training

    4. play an active role in the GPL/security community and lend
    advice/support/expertise

    5. try and find your own vulnerabilities to build recognition of your
    name

    6. As far as I can tell there is no truly recognized "Institute of
    Security". "There is a fledgling "Institute for Information Security"
    which can be found at www.instis.org "

    7. CISSP

    8. "Obtain a position at a security conscious smaller company that wants
    IT administrator assistance but that person
    to also do some security work.  This will beef up your resume in
    security experience"

    9. "try writing something...an article, a tutorial, a how to. The
    process of doing the research and writing down the concepts will teach
    you what you are writing about"

    10. The Sans Institute - GIAC programs

    11. Obtain Cisco certification from CCNA to CISSP

    12. Checkpoint exams

    All the above points are very sound advice and could be used by any new
    security candidate to broaden their horizons.

    Unfortunately not all of the points are practical in my own personal
    situation. I am already into a network design career and taking time out
    to do another Masters is financially not possible for me.

    Since I have talked to you all last I have started to restructure my
    "self education scheme from the typically unorganized, learn random
    information at random times, to a much more formalized one. A superb
    repository for this study is the Sans institute.

    I have also sat and passed my CCNA with a suitably impressive mark (a
    good place to start for anyone I would suggest). Following this I will
    sit my PIX qualifications and then my CCNP. Concurrently I will study
    the Sans institute with a view to starting the qualification ladder
    there as well.

    It looks as if it will be surprisingly easy to find a job within a small
    organization that is interested in security. In the few discussions I
    have had with employers since my first post I have found that pretty
    much any position within an IT based division will jump at the chance of
    adding security experienced personnel. It also surprised me how easy it
    was to find out what security hardware/software and persona ell they
    have in place.

    [Lets add this to the Social engineering handbook. Apply for a job and
    just ask outright at the interview. I got diagrams and weaknesses
    pointed out as well! Lol]

    A direct question. I cannot find any samples of the online Sans training
    with the accompanying MP3 anywhere. Is it possible for someone to send
    or point me in the direction of something that will give me an idea of
    what this documentation is actually like. Are there such things as past
    papers for these qualifications?

    Again thanks to everyone for the overwhelming response. It is good to
    know the community is alive, strong and as supportive as it is.

    Regards,

    	Mark

    ______________________________

    Subject: Advice on entering the security field (training, qualifications
    etc..)

    I am based in Scotland and extremely interested in entering the security
    sector.

    I have the usual background in IT and unsurprisingly I have been reading
    all the texts, playing with all the tools and reading all the mailing
    lists etc.. for the past 4 years.

    My question is, how do I formalize my self-taught education with
    qualifications/accreditation that is meaningful to a potential employer.

    Specifically, assuming that I am funding it myself, what qualifications
    should I sit? Is there such a thing as a "Institute of Security.." that
    I can join?

    I have been actively looking for a position recently but the combination
    of the down turn in the market and every job looking for a different
    accreditation I have been unsuccessful.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Mark