Re: Status Of The IT Talent Pool

From: Michael Soukup (msoukupat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 15:26:47 PDT

    Subroto makes some excellent points in his letter.

    I recently worked for a major hardware/software corporation that imported
    many (hundreds, at least) programmers from India on work visas and then paid
    them significantly less than their U.S. citizen counterparts. And the Indians
    are happy with this. More than a few go back to India to get an advanced
    degree, get married, etc., and the corporation hires them back when they're
    ready to return. Most of us citizen workers never seemed to mind; the Indians
    are largely talented, hard workers, and worked well with everyone else
    (except the Pakistanis, which is another story).

    The big issue as I see it is whether or not the Federal Government is going
    to reopen the doors again to the practices described in these e-mails. The
    Government did so before to please the big corporations and the shareholders.

    But this was when economic times were much better for the computer biz (and
    everyone else), and there seemed to always be a big shortage of people with
    the needed skills. The environment has changed considerably now.

    I don't see the computer business improving by much any time soon. So, I'm
    skeptical of ITAA's claim that there is a shortage of 600,000 IT workers.
    Lots of experienced professionals and very bright new college grads in
    computer science can't find jobs, even after very lengthy periods of
    searching.

    My nickel's worth of opinion is that the H1-B visa limits should be retained
    at the least, and preferably should be made even more restrictive to maximize
    the employment potential for the talented people in the U.S. already, be they
    citizens or non-citizens.

    Mike Soukup